Need help polishing your novel or short story? You’ve come to the right place!
WHO I AM
I’m a traditionally published author with Penguin Random House and HarperCollins, as well as a freelance editor and speaker. I have five years of editing experience and have helped many clients sign with literary agents, several of whom have gone on to sell to Big Five publishers, as well as hit the USA Today Bestsellers’ list. In addition, I’ve worked with clients who have found success with indie presses, and/or become finalists in literary contests and awards. For more about me, see my Author Page.
WHAT I OFFER
I edit fiction (novels or short stories) of all genres with the exception of horror, picture books, or epic fantasy. I also edit query letters and synopses. At this time, I do not edit non-fiction or memoirs.
New! I have added a consultation service for writers in need of publishing advice or guidance whether it be starting their careers, moving in a different direction, marketing and book placement, or other industry related questions.
HOW IT WORKS
1. Contact me here with the number of pages you’d like reviewed and any questions you may have. We’ll discuss the type of edits you’re looking for, etc. In the event I’m not the editor that can help you with your project, I’ll be happy to make recommendations for other editors.
2. Sign a short contract to protect your work
3. Receive an invoice via PayPal (more info below)
4. Pay to reserve your spot in the queue, and receive a confirmation of payment
5. Send manuscript in a Microsoft Word document as an attachment with your name, the title of your work, the number of pages, & genre. Please submit pages in the standard industry format– double-spaced in Times New Roman or Courier New font, 12 point.
6. Receive a confirmation that I have your pages, as well as an estimate of when the editing will be completed (also stated on the contract)
This includes as many as three passes through your query.
This includes the first two pages of a single-spaced synopsis. Each additional page is $3/page.
OPENER PACKAGE: $50
- In-depth analysis of opening scenes and first chapter up to 10 pages
- I’ll be looking for: grammar, syntax, paragraph structure, sentence flow, voice, & style, AND developmental editing —pacing, tension, themes, motivation, symbolism, characters, plot structure, and big TRUTHS.
- Further discussion and plot development via email
***This package is my minimum fee, outside of queries or synopses which can be purchased on their own.
Otherwise I charge…
$2.50 per page for DEVELOPMENTAL EDITS
- For this type of critique, I’m looking at the broad scope of the manuscript. Examples of things I’ll be looking for: Pacing, tension, themes, Goal-Motivation-Conflict, character arcs, plot structure, and big TRUTHS. Further discussion and plot development via email or phone.
$3.50 per page for LINE EDITS
- For this type of critique, I zoom in to study each sentence. I focus on: Grammar, syntax, paragraph structure, sentence flow, voice, & style, AS WELL AS developmental issues listed above.
- Further discussion and plot development via email or phone
- I do not do final polish editing, otherwise known as copy editing. This means every typo, every comma or dangling participle, etc., before a book is published. That sort of hyper, fine-tuning is not my specialty. I can, however, make recommendations for this sort of editing once your manuscript is ready.
***If you purchase a full manuscript read, I throw in the query at no extra charge.
CONSULTATION PACKAGE: $50/hour
For this type of discussion, begin with an initial email through my contact form, including questions you’d wish to discuss. From there, we will decide which avenue of communication is best–Skype, Hangouts, email, or telephone. Below is a list of just a few possible discussion topics:
- Beginning novel writing, maintaining momentum, finding critique partners
- Making recent changes in your publishing path and advice moving forward, traditional or otherwise
- Marketing and publicity expectations, ideas, and recommendations
**If you purchase a full manuscript read, this advice is included.
A PayPal invoice will be billed to your email. You do not need your own PayPal account in order to pay with a credit card. The site is very simple to use, but if you need assistance, please contact me. Once a payment has been received, I reserve your spot in the queue and give you an estimated date of completion.
I keep all clients’ works STRICTLY confidential and wouldn’t DREAM of sharing their work with anyone. It is in my best interest as well as my clients’ to respect their privacy.
“Heather’s edits are always spot-on. She works with rare precision and attention to detail, and pays equal attention to grammar, structure, and story arc. Better still, she possesses the rare ability to offer suggestions while simultaneously preserving the author’s unique voice and style. I recommend her to anyone and everyone seeking editorial aid.” —Susan Spann, publishing attorney and author of the Shinobi Mysteries (Minotaur/St.Martin’s Press)
“Heather is not only an incredibly gifted editor, she’s an amazing teacher. I learned so much from her skillful edits, and the way she helped me find the cleanest, tightest version of my story. A talented and successful author in her own right, Heather is savvy about all things publishing, and can help guide both your writing and your career accordingly. I came to Heather a raw, inexperienced newbie, and I can say with utmost confidence that I would not be where I am today without her unique blend of talent, dedication, and humor.” —Janet B Taylor, YA author of INTO THE DIM (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
“Heather Webb is a double-threat editor. Besides having an eagle eye for grammatical issues, she’s especially attuned to the nuances of fiction writing—plot arc, character development, narrative drive—and will push you and your book to the next level.” —Kris Waldherr, author of DOOMED QUEENS (Broadway/Doubleday Books)
“Heather’s ultra-sharp editing eye saw precisely what was needed to boost my writing to the level I’ve been aspiring to reach. Her insights and honest feedback went directly to the point of what required fixing. What she provides aren’t band-aides, but conscientious and experienced first-aid. I’m ecstatic to have found her!” —Barbara Forte Abate, author of THE SECRET OF LIES, 2011 winner of the Eric Hoffer Award, finalist of the Indie Excellence Book Award
“Heather provided a thorough, detailed reading of the first two-thirds of my WIP. She was able to highlight weaknesses in the early chapters that kept her from connecting with certain characters and fully appreciating the political aspects of the plot. Thanks to her valuable input, I’ll be able to tighten up the front end so as to pull readers in from page one! Hearing where she thought the book was headed has proven immensely helpful as I tackle the last third of the novel. Heather is a great cheerleader for what is working in a manuscript and a precise and sensitive critic for what is not.” —Julianne Douglas, agented author & blogger
“Thank you so very much for your expert editing and advice on the MS this past summer — that help was undoubtedly essential to me getting this far.”—Carrie Callaghan, agented author